Sunday, August 28, 2011

Bad mothers, unite!

A blog post on why I hate kids has been building up, but when I saw this as I perused the news this morning, I decided to let it build a little longer because this just blows my mind.

Raised in a $1.5 million Barrington Hills, Ill., home by their attorney father, two grown children have spent the last two years pursuing a unique lawsuit against their mom for "bad mothering" that alleges damages caused when she failed to buy toys for one and sent another a birthday card he didn’t like.

The alleged offenses include failing to take her daughter to a car show, telling her then 7-year-old son to buckle his seat belt or she would contact police, "haggling" over the amount to spend on party dresses and calling her daughter at midnight to ask that she return home from celebrating homecoming.

I'm sure you share my horror at the egregious sins of this mother!  Imagine a mother that encourages safety and frugality!  Not to mention a curfew!  Too bad this lawsuit was dismissed.  That mother should have got what was coming to her.

But seriously, the fact that this piece-of-shit suit lasted for TWO YEARS before being dismissed is a travesty.  If this is what constitutes bad mothering then who is a good mother?  The so-called mother who leaves her baby in a garbage can? 

I say we celebrate our badness!  I will confess to this sin of bad mothering:

The only gaming system I ever bought my kids was an old Sega I bought at a garage sale.

Shocking and horrifying, I know.  But somehow they survived.

So confess.  What is your worst mothering sin?









4 comments:

  1. For heaven's sake, it's a wonder Social Services didn't take custody of my kids. Yes, let's unite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post. I saw that article yesterday and it left me wondering if there was something else pertinent to the story that was missing? I have seen the media pull crap like that. For example, the infamous McDonalds hot coffee lawsuit was a whole different story than what the media portrayed it to be.

    Anyway, once when I was going to school and working full time I bought my kids' birthday presents from the dollar store. Cheap shit. All of it. Even worse, I regularly subjected them to FHE and daily morning scripture study, not to mention family prayer. I know! Right? Thank god the applicable statute of limitations has run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cognitive Dissenter makes a good point. Especially considering that the infamous McDonalds hot coffee lawsuit has become a proverb that everyone uses to prove that people suing corporations for harm or injury are "what's wrong with America."

    But if it's accurate, wow!

    I have written a whole series on my blog about "why I'm a bad mom" -- and my latest post is about my own little piece of [parenting] crazy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wondered if there was more to the story, but just the fact that the son saved a birthday card and submitted it as evidence JUST BECAUSE HE DIDN'T LIKE IT, well, my kids would have So much ammunition for a lawsuit. A good many of their birthdays sucked.

    ReplyDelete