Monday, December 19, 2011

Oh, holy shite



I'm an all or nothing kind of gal. When I was in the church, I was all in. Everything was right and I tried my best to live all of it. Now I don't believe at least parts of it so it seems I've thrown all of it out. I'm not even sure I'm a Christian anymore. Maybe one day I'll figure out exactly what I believe, but right now I'm still a muddled mess. This is the first year I haven't put out my nativity set. Not so much because I don't want to, as because I didn't do much decorating and I'm lazy. So it sits in a box in the basement while a small tree stands decorated without the normal angel at the top of it. My holiday decorations minus religion.

A friend shared this video with me and I immediately loved it. And not just because I think Tim Minchin is weirdly sexy. No, it's because he loves Christmas while thinking that the religion side of it is shite.

I don't go in for ancient wisdom.
I don't believe just because ideas are tenacious
It means they are worthy.
I get freaked out by churches.
Some of the hymns that they sing have nice chords
But the lyrics are dodgy.

The holiday is about being with family, simple presents of socks and chocolates, and drinking white wine in the sun. And that's enough and more.

Watch this and feel my Christmas spirit. And laugh. I LOVE this guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment