Sunday, April 1, 2012

A paradigm shift of epic proportions

And it's time for the Annual General Conference in Utah. In other words, Mormons get to play hookey from church and shop on Sunday. But for those of us unlucky enough to live with devout Mormons, it means hearing those sing-voices drone on through session after session while we long for just a few shots of booze or possibly a good hit to help us cope with the tripe filling the airwaves. I realized yesterday as I tried not to listen, that my anger has only increased in intensity this time around. The arrogance of "only Mormons do good things" and the mental gynastics of "if you only have enough faith" make my brain hurt. Gazing at these faces just make me slightly nauseated now.



 I've been drawing my inspiration more and more from people like this:








And as I read and warched clips from the recent Reason Rally, I loved the feel, the look and the sound. It was as if General Conference had been taken over by a rock concert. But with way cooler people and making much more sense. I may not be an atheist yet, but if I can learn to enjoy babies for breakfast, maybe there's hope.




4 comments:

  1. If it weren't for BGW, I would have been at that reason rally. I sorta wished I had gone to the rally anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What really would have been cool is to have had BGW at the Reason Rally! That would have been fantastic. Wish I could have been there.

      Delete
  2. I lasted ten minutes before my satellite started acting up. Next thing you know, it's a sign to turn off Packer's talk and go shopping. Woot. Blethering old fool. At least his health seems to be failing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! Shopping is better for the soul anyway.

      Delete