Saturday, February 12, 2011

Speak of the devil!

I ran into this blog LDS (Mormon) Stake President yesterday.  The newest post is about Surgical Sterilization (Including Vasectomies).  Deja vu!  This (hopefully) fictional Stake President wrote:

I was horrified this week to find out that a member of the bishopric in one of my wards has had a vasectomy.  When I met with him and his wife they admitted to having done this without consulting church leaders.  They said they had felt good about the decision as they prayed about it...

The post ends with this lovely paragraph:

The handbook goes on to state that "persons responsible for this decision should consult with each other and with their Bishop".  Because they failed in this regard I felt I should temporarily withhold their temple recommends while they go through the repentance process.  The brother will not sit on the stand as a bishopric member during this time but I will not release him if he sincerely repents.  It breaks my heart.  Church leaders have to make such difficult decisions sometimes.

I honestly can't tell if this blog is meant to be satirical or not.  It hits so very, very close to reality that it just raises my ire and blood pressure.  Like this post where he denies a woman a temple recommend because she drinks green tea so she cannot attend her own daughter's wedding.  Every post just makes me want to slap someone silly.  But not laugh.  I find no humor in it whatsoever.  Am I getting my thong in a wad for nothing?  Thoughts, anyone?

5 comments:

  1. He made a comment on a blog post of mine and I checked out his blog too. His comment to me was totally on a tangent, but so Stake President-like. I'm certain it's satire. Did you read the one where he talks about using prayers as a way to correct and instruct wives? OMG! That's when I knew. I mean, I totally believe TBMs do that, but does anyone actually say it? LOL! I almost got my non-Temple issue underwear in a wad too, but I don't think there's any need. Funnier would be to respond with satire in character and pretend to be another member who agrees with him.

    You have to hand it to the guy... He stays in character

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the blog is satire, it isn't very creative and has been done (and better - with actual humor) before. I give it 2 thumbs down either way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He can't be for real. I mean, he is in the sense that shit like this really does happen but no true asshole would memorialize his assholyishness so obviously and shamelessly. I'm thinkin' we've got yet another angry exmo who's discovered his/her own cheap therapy via blogging. If that's the case, more power to him/her. I also agree with Amy -- not funny, more irritating, but maybe that's his/her intent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The name he lists--Paternoster--means "Our Father" in Latin. That along with the over the top douchey-ness of the blog leads me to believe it's satire.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My problem with it is that far too many TBMs wouldn't see a thing wrong and would agree with what he's written. It's simply scary and nauseating to me.

    ReplyDelete