Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Circular blogging

So a situation has come up that I normally would blog about because it helps me wrap my brain around things and sort them out. But this situation has come about because I blog. So, apparently blogging creates scary situations which create more blogging. Which may even create more scary situations! Agh! A never ending cycle!

Ah, what the hell. I'm meeting two of my blogging idols, women that are smart and educated and professional. And there's me, sporting my high school diploma from a tiny rural school and my 10 credits earned at BYU. (Some of those were from a religion class so they probably shouldn't count since obviously nothing stuck.) Yeah, I'd be lying if I didn't say I wasn't intimidated as hell. And yet incredibly flattered that they are willing to waste an evening in my company.

And that got me thinking about how my social life has changed. I've got my ho friends that live on my street but other than that my friends have been met on the net. BGW last spring was waaaaay out of my comfort zone and something I wouldn't have EVER considered doing a few years before. But I'm so glad I opened up and did it.  I met some incredible people and learned so much. (As well as having SO MUCH FUN!)

Yes, it's amazing what happens when you get the courage to stick your neck out and look beyond the clearly marked ward boundaries. And I wouldn't change anything that's happened since I did.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about the change in your social life. I've discovered It has nothing to do with education. It's more about finally finding authenticity and honesty.

    Because I never was comfortable or fit into the LDS social scene I grew up believing at some level that there was something wrong with my personality. I HATED the judgmental bitchy female cliques in every ward, was never invited, nor did I want to be a part of them. I got to the point where I really loved the fact that I was different.

    I think there is a lot of truth to the story of The Ugly Duckling. There is something really great about finding your own people and immediately fitting in -- in a way you never have before.

    Can't wait to meet you, Zena!!! I already know you're one of my people.

    : )

    ReplyDelete